Sunday, February 1, 2009

Chapter 4 - The Impact of Educational Theories on Educational Practice

This chapter talks about the different theories of education. There are six main ones: Perennialism, Progressivism, Behaviourism, Essentialism, Social Reconstructionism and Postmodernism. For each of these six theories we learn about general information, their purpose of schooling, the nature of their learner, their curriculum, their instructional methods, their classroom management, their assessments, the way their teachers are and their leading educational proponents. There is a lot of information about every single one of these theories in the chapters. At the end of the chapter, the authors ask the reader which theory they can most relate too. Just like the philosophies, I still haven't quite decided which theory I can most relate too. I'm hoping the more I learn in this class, the clearer it will be for me. It is not necessary to fit clearly into one theory/philosophy, because most of them somehow overlap each other. Even taking bits and pieces of a few of them and putting them together could possibly create a great teaching method. I also learnt that the theories are constantly changing due to economic, social and political climates. With all this new knowledge, I can't wait to start figuring things out for my own teaching career!

~Dano~

1 comment:

  1. I think that you have a good understanding of these theories, based on the statements in your test.

    ReplyDelete