Friday, March 27, 2009

Chapter 10 - Students at Risk

This chapter was all about students at risk, how to identify certain students at risk, how to prevent certain problems, and how to intervene if need be. The following risks were discussed:

1. Tobacco, drugs, and alcohol use/abuse


2. Suicide

3. Dropping out of school

4. Teenage pregnancy

5. HIV/AIDS and other sexually transmitted infections (STI)

6. Child abuse and neglect


7. School violence


8. Gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender and questioning youth


I found the statistics for each of these risks to be very interesting and the different indicators were interesting as well. This chapter made me really think about certain of these problems, and how I would react to them personally. Some of the situations would not be easy to deal with, some others might be a little easier because of the personal experiences I have had. All in all, I found this chapter extremely interesting and gave me some very positive feedback on how to deal with, or prevent, certain situations. You never know what you will come across in your life...


DaNo

No comments:

Post a Comment